Ayamonte, Spain (October 13, 2023) – The U.S. Women’s Beach Soccer National Team lost 6-1 to Portugal on Friday in their first match of the 2023 Women’s Mundialito Beach Soccer Championship.
In the first women’s beach soccer competition between the two countries, the Portuguese team scored two goals in each of the three rounds.
Portugal’s Andrea Silva opened the scoring five minutes into the game, but the United States came close to equalizing when defender Nikki Hyams, who was making his international debut, had his shot from close range blocked by Jamila ·Mareos saves. After U.S. captain Ali Hall was whistled for a foul deep in the attack, Daniela Pereira drilled a free kick into the top right corner with less than a minute left to give Portugal a 2-0 lead. .
Emma Toscano gave Portugal a 3-0 lead five minutes into the second period before Daniela blocked Keely Quigley’s clearance and scored with two seconds left in the second. The second goal of the game.
Quigley got a goal back for the U.S. early in the third period. Rachel Hunter won a one-on-one with the Portuguese defender on the left and passed the ball to Quigley, who curled the ball into the right post hit. The target is 15th The pinnacle of Quigley’s international career extended her lead on the USBWNT all-time scoring list. This is also the ninth goal she has led the team in 2023.
The U.S. team’s celebrations didn’t last long as Andreia Silva scored the winner from the kick-off, beating substitute U.S. goalkeeper Gabby Batmani into the top left corner. ’s second goal. Erica Ferreira sealed the score with nine minutes left in the third period, winning the ball in the backcourt and quickly firing the ball into the lower left post.
Next: will look to bounce back against tournament host and top-ranked Spain on Saturday, October 14 at 10:45 a.m. ET.The game will be broadcast live 3 and Beach Soccer Network.
- This competition is the seventh competition held by USBWNT in 2023 and the most international competitions the project has participated in since its launch in 2019.
- With this defeat, the team’s record in 2023 will reach 5 wins, 2 draws and 0 losses, and the historical record will reach 11 wins, 11 losses and 0 losses.
- Goaltender Gabby Batmani replaced Melissa Lowder to start the third period.
- Forward Kilee Quigley scored 15 pointsth International goals, most in USBWNT history. Quigley also scored his franchise-leading ninth goal of 2023.
- Defender Nikki Haimes makes his international debut as the 24th playerth Different players will appear for USBWNT.
- Forward Ashley Triplett made her first appearance since April 16, 2022, against El Salvador, her first return to action since giving birth to her child in March.
– us Women’s Beach Soccer National Team Match Report –
match: U.S. Women’s Beach Soccer National Team vs. Portugal
date: October 13, 2023
competition: Mundialito Beach Soccer 2023
Place: Isla Canela Beach Stadium; Ayamonte, Spain
kick off: 8 a.m. ET (2 p.m. local time)
weather: 78 degrees
Rating summary: 1 2 3rd floor
United States 0 0 1 1
Power on reset 2 2 2 6
POR – Andrea Silva 6:31 (1st quarter)
POR – Daniela Pereira 3:55 (1st)
POR – Emma Toscano 6:57 (2nd)
POR – Daniela Pereira 1:00 (2nd)
USA – Kilee Quigley (Rachel Hunter) 10:12 (3rd)
POR – Andrea Silva 10:08 (3rd)
POR – Erica Ferreira 9:12 (3rd)
USA: 12-Melissa Lord, 3-Hannah Adler, 9-Keeley Quigley, 10-Ali Hall (captain), 11-Rachel Hunter
Substitute: 1-Gabriella Batemani2-Nikki Himes, 4-Kelly Garzon, 5-Mackenzie Chronopoulos, 6-Jenny Sunseri-Vop, 8-Ashley Triplett
Head Coach: Morgan Church
Power on reset: 1-Jamila Marreros (captain), 2-Emma Toscano, 5-Ines Cruz, 9-Cristiana de Sousa Costa, 11-Erica · Ferreira
Substitute: 12-Petra Reis, 4-Joanna Flores, 13-Andrea Silva, 16-Marta Simmons, 17-Edna Peralta, 18-Daniela Pereira, 20-Joanna Lucas
Head Coach: Alan Calvacanti
Summary of Misconduct:
First Referee: Patricia Gomez Gomez (ESP)
Second referee: Matthieu Dor (France)
Third referee: Fiammetta Susanna (Italy)
Timekeeper: Jordy Vermeire (Belgium)